“The Global Citizen"
Oxfam sees the global citizen as someone who:
• Is aware of the wider world and has a sense of their own role as a world citizen.
• Respects and values diversity.
• Has an understanding of how the world works.
• Is passionately committed to social justice.
• Participates in the community at a range of levels, from the local to the global.
• Works with others to make the world a more equitable and sustainable place.
• Takes responsibility for their actions.”
According to World Savvy:
Global Competence refers to the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to navigate and succeed in today’s interconnected world. Globally competent individuals are life-long learners, have an appreciation for cultural differences, an ability to understand and consider multiple perspectives, critical and comparative thinking skills, problem solving abilities, comfort with ambiguity and change, and understand globally significant issues.
Collaboration as a Step Toward the Global Classroom
Globalizing a classroom may feel like an overwhelming task. The purpose of this guide is to provide teachers information and materials all in one convenient location. All of the materials, links and resources have been tested and recommended by educators. Please check back frequently, as I will but updating this site as I find new resources. I also welcome your input. I would love to include your ideas and resources in this guide. It would be great to work together with you on projects to help globalize our classrooms, one activity at a time.